Monday 27 May 2013

Evaluation: Adnan

The story which we chose to animate in the form of mixed media was the famous "Little Red Riding Hood". As a group of four, we decided on the first day who was going to be doing what and we agreed upon three different forms of media; 3D, 2D and Kinetic Typography. Anthony decided he wanted to create the forest in Maya, this involved modelling, adding textures, lighting the environment and finally rendering camera angles which took a few days to complete. Quincy's role was to design and model the house where the grandmother was to live. This house turned out very appealing, it was also done in Maya where again, textures, lights and modelling would have to have been added to achieve the desired look. Eniola preferred to design and animate our characters which was done to a high level. He used Adobe Flash which is definitely not a favourite from amongst our group but again Eniola took up the challenge and achieved a great look. I was very grateful to be doing the Typography for the group as I really enjoyed doing it in the previous assignment. The software I used was Adobe After effects.

I believe our animation has turned out a success, I really didn't think it was going to turn out so well the day we were given the assignment. I strongly believe we have a achieved the horror genre we were going for, the forest and the house is undoubtedly a spooky environment, the characters have a unique look to them especially the wolf who was designed to look evil. For the font I had originally found three different types of which were then narrowed down to the groups favourite.

Pros
- The composites of the 2D characters and 3D environments were done really well I think. Everything is positioned perfectly which gives a 3D space illusion.
- More than enough footage, I was a little worried that we wouldn't be able to hit the 2 minute mark but it turns out we passed it.

Cons
- It's a shame that our forest scene doesn't have a sky which would have made it much more effective, However, I did say that I would try and add a sky in the end in After Effects but it turned out to be too complicated to achieve.
- I am not sure if the Typography works when there is footage on screen, I did try an keep the words to a minimum but still turns out to be a distraction to the viewer.
- I also think that the narration was a bit too deep and hard to understand at certain points in the animation.

All in all I am proud of our final animation, I am impressed by what our group has been able to achieve and most definitely would have been a nightmare to attempt this individually.

Adnan.

No comments:

Post a Comment